Stretch Marks are normal and can be seen on any areas of the body but there are certain body parts which have higher chances of developing stretch marks like breast, thighs, tummy and so on. Stretch marks are like stripes which develop on the skin and are mostly found in pregnant women or people who have lost a huge amount of weight after weight gain. They are not at all painful and have no underlying medical cause but certain people don’t like it due to their appearance and hence they go for several home made self treatment or medical treatment for the removal of the same.
They don’t look alike and their colour mainly depends on how long you have had them, the reason for their appearance, your age and your skin type.
Usually females are more prone to stretch marks than male but that doesn’t mean that male don’t get it, many do. There are many factors responsible for their appearance but there are some major ones which I have discussed below:
- Being a female
- Family history of developing stretch marks
- Being pregnant, especially in your early age
- Rapid growth in adolescence
- Gaining too much weight or losing too much weight in a short span of time
- Exercising too much or using anabolic steroids or corticosteroids
- Having some sort of genetic disorder which helps you get those stretch marks.
- They appear as lines on the abdomen, breasts, hips, buttocks or some other places on the body
- They appear as pink, red, black, blue or purple streaks
- Initially they are bright streaks which later fade to a lighter color
- Streaks covering large areas of the body